Indoor Air Quality
- Lennox Zone Control Products
- Lennox Thermostat Products
- Lennox Heat Pump Products
- Air Conditioning
- Windows & Doors
Were you aware that there are millions upon millions of microscopic airborne contaminants floating around in your home? These numerous contaminants can include dust, dirt, pollen, dander, dust mites, , smoke, volatile organic compounds, viruses, bacteria, and even mold spores. This may sound daunting, but the good news is that there are solutions available.
Arming your Sacramento, CA home with the right air filtration system and/or air purifier, professionally installed by the indoor air quality team here at Sierra Pacific Home & Comfort, Inc., is the number one way to reduce the risk of particle infiltration. Contact us today and we will help you find the best air filtration or air purification option for your home. Trust to Sierra Pacific, The Guys In The Big Red Trucks.
What Is an Air Filtration System?
An air filtration system—an air filter—is a tightly woven fiber mesh stretched across a frame and installed in your ductwork. As air flows through this filter, any contaminants that it carries will become snared in the fibers. This is a common method for clearing a home’s air, as it doesn’t require any additional power source.
It is important to remember that the air filter that comes standard with your HVAC system may not be enough on its own to protect your indoor air quality: in fact, that’s not its purpose. It is intended to protect the interior components of your heating and cooling systems. Regardless of your air filter type, however, you should be changing it every 1–3 months during periods of heavy use.
Know Your Air Filter’s MERV Rating
MERV stands for Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value, and this determines how tightly woven the mesh in the filter is. The tighter it is, the more and smaller contaminants that the filter can capture. That being said, you’re likely to be tempted to go with the highest MERV rated air filtration system you can get, but you shouldn’t.
If the MERV rating is too high, then the harder it is for air to flow through—which can end up hindering the efficiency of your HVAC systems. Contact the Sacramento, CA indoor air quality experts on our team and we’ll help you determine what air filtration system is best for your needs.
What about Air Purification?
There are multiple indoor air quality products on the market, and the right air filtration system could do your Sacramento, CA home a lot of good. This isn’t the only option though to rid your home of harmful contaminants. Consider an air purifier to defend against some other stubborn particles. There are two basic types of air purification systems, each with a unique job to do and with its own benefits.
- Ionization Purifiers: You might also hear these referred to as electronic purifiers—they emit clouds of magnetically charged particles during operation, which give an opposite magnetic charge to the contaminants in your air. When these contaminants enter the purifier, they’re attracted to metal plates which can then be removed and cleaned.
- UV Air Purifiers: UV air purifiers are different in that they don’t attack the particles that are already in the air. Rather, they bathe harmful microorganisms—bacteria, mold, mildew—within your ductwork in a UV light that effectively eliminates the contaminants. Exposure given off from the UV air purifier is harmless to pets and people, but deadly to the particles that threaten to enter your indoor air.