When it comes to AC trouble, there are two kinds:
- The problem that comes about from not having proper maintenance performed on a regular basis.
- The kind that happens out of nowhere, for seemingly no reason, and at the worst possible time.
We wouldn’t want you to bring on either kind of trouble any sooner than necessary. Luckily, there are a few things you can do (or not do) to help. We’ve listed a few ways you can prevent from having to call for air conditioning repair in Rocklin, CA.
Change Your Air Filter
A dirty air filter is the king of easily preventable AC troubles. Whenever you’re in doubt, the first thing you want to do is go and check that air filter. Of course, finding an air filter caked in dust doesn’t mean that replacing it is guaranteed to be the end of your troubles. In fact, an air filter that’s been dirty for some time could be the cause of any number of components failing to operate properly.
A dirty and clogged air filter can prevent the evaporator coil or blower from working properly. It also forces your air conditioner to work harder when pulling air through the system, which can lead to short-cycling and other inefficiency issues.
Don’t Do Your Own AC Repairs
We’re not just saying this because we’re an HVAC company. The inner-workings of an air conditioner are an entirely different beast than your usual DIY projects.
Some of the biggest reasons we would urge you not to work on your own AC repairs are:
- The presence of refrigerant: Your AC relies on highly pressurized refrigerant to perform its cooling functions. If you damage a component that contains refrigerant, you’d be damaging one of the most vital components in the system. Not only that: inhaling refrigerant can be poisonous.
- Specialized parts and skills: Often, a serious problem in your AC is due to a component that has failed and needs to be replaced. But the parts in an air conditioner are not just things you can pick up at a hardware store. You’ll most likely start working on your AC only to find that you can’t finish the job.
- Warranties: Depending on the brand, there will be various warranties on your system. Some of them are quite blatant, stating that only a professional HVAC technician can perform maintenance and repairs. In other cases, they might say that repairs can only be done using parts of a certain quality.
Let the AC Do Its Thing
You shouldn’t try to make your AC work faster or better than it’s designed to. If installed properly, your AC will cool your home as efficiently as possible with consideration to your home’s square footage, environment, and climate. Part of this process is the length of time it takes to cool your home, also known as a “cycle.”
However, it’s not uncommon for homeowners to try and accelerate the cooling process. They do this by setting the thermostat several degrees lower than what they intend. Unfortunately, this doesn’t work as intended and will lead to unnecessary strain on the system.
Stay out of AC trouble! Don’t be afraid to call in a professional for a tune-up. Contact Sierra Pacific Home & Comfort, Inc. today!